Saturday, February 07, 2009

25 Random Things About Me

I got tagged on Facebook to write a note listing 25 Random Things About Me.  Actually, I got tagged quite a few times before caving to the peer pressure.  But, despite the word random in the title, I actually spent a little bit of time thinking about it before writing.  Have you ever tried to portray your life in 25 statements?  Not so easy.  Below is the list of what I ended up publishing, however, it is in no way complete, especially since many of you reading are not even mentioned.

1. I was born in NY, but don't consider myself a Yankee, even though my husband does. I do love the North, but hope to never live there again since I don't like being cold.

2. I started taking ballet when I was 3 and thought I would dance forever. I would still dance if I had a studio of my own where no one could watch me...I find it therapeutic...almost as therapeutic as singing.

3. My brother has been my best friend for as long as I can remember. We moved around a lot when we were little and we stuck together. My favorite childhood memories are of the two of us.

4. My dad was my first Prince Charming...followed by my brother. Rod had big shoes to fill. Good thing he has big feet!

5. My heart was shattered (as in beyond broken) when I was in high school. I never truly believed after that I would experience true love, but I was way wrong. God is so good! He has protected me from so much and brought me through so much for a reason. I am humbled He can use a broken vessel like me, and honored to live the life He has for me.

6. I don't think I really "found myself" until the summer after I graduated high school. I spent a few weeks in Mexico on a mission trip and fell in love with the people. We witnessed some amazing things during our time there. I didn't want to come home because there was such a great need there, but according to my dad "that isn't an option." I was sure from that point forward I would one day be fluent in Spanish and living in another country. Neither has happened...yet.

7. I grew the most spiritually during my one year at NCSU. I didn't attend many classes, and definitely didn't become an engineer like my father, but I sure did love InterVarsity and my YL friends! It was, however, also the most expensive year of spiritual growth. :)

8. Some of the best times and most meaningful times of my life have been with Young Life. I think it is a great ministry. That's where I met my husband after all. I love that friendship and laughter are used to bring people into relationship with Jesus. I bet God has the best sense of humor ever!

9. Speaking of meeting Rod: he had already known my parents and brother for at least 3 months when we met, and was quick to point out, "they never mentioned you." THANKS A LOT! :) He has “smiley eyes” and a great sense of humor. He is strong and stubborn (just the way I like ‘em) and makes me feel safe. He “rescued” me, and God has taught us so much about Himself through our almost 9 years of marriage. Oh, and he also still believes the South shoulda won the war. And he likes to eat grits (GROSS). And he likes to “reckon.” And for some reason I still love him.

10. My mom is my very best friend. I love her and never want to have to live without her. If I end up being even a quarter of who she is, that would exceed all my expectations for myself. She is the definition of Christ with skin on to me.

11. I look forward to my girls weekend every year with 4 of my best friends. I love the honest times of being ourselves away from our stressors and laughing...sharing...eating...drinking...ETC. Love you guys!

12. The first friend I ever met who I totally opened myself up to was Betty. She has challenged me so much in who I am, who I should be, how to get there...she is an inspiration to me and such an encouragement. She also has the best laugh and takes credit for every step I have ever run or will run in the future. -and she's right, she deserves that credit.

13. Since I'm on the topic of friends, I am blessed with so many great friends! Young Life is an amazing network, and I have made life-long friends through our involvement. My "old" YL leaders are still so dear to me, and if we lived in the same town, I know we would all hang out now, too...we just probably wouldn't do as many skits together. Though I would love to have Hair Patrol and Light and Fluffy make a come back!!!

14. Ice cream is my favorite food. Also my favorite meal. Also the one thing I could not live without. I remember eating ice cream since...well forever. We used to drive 45 minutes one way to church in CT, and I can still taste the McDonald's sundaes we would get on the way home...and can still see how much bigger they used to be...or maybe I was just smaller when I was 5? Going for ice cream was my favorite date with my dad. We would go to Zesto's in MO for "dippy dip cones." Mom and I used to go to Dairy Queen and eat banana splits...FOR OUR MEAL. -and you wonder why I love this woman?? Ian and I would go to Sonic after school for ice cream. Then we would go to TCBY. Then we would tell Mom we wanted ice cream for dessert after dinner. My favorite summer activities in PA: making ice cream at my grandparents' house...and going to Friendly's for ice cream. The first summer Rod took me to the beach with his family, he drove the whole way up through Myrtle Beach from Surfside looking for the Friendly's he knew was there SOMEWHERE just to surprise me with my favorite thing! I still try to eat ice cream everyday.

15. Rodgers is my favorite child because he has such a tender heart and loves the Lord. He has a passion for people who don't know Jesus, and God has gifted him with the brains to do amazing things for His glory. He is a lover and a comedian and amazes me daily with the way he sees the world. He also has the most beautiful hair. And smile.

16. Kylie is my favorite child because she reminds me of myself...which is endearing and maddening all at the same time. She has the cutest way of talking, almost like her own accent, and we love all of her "Kylie-isms." She has never met a stranger, is a loyal lover of her friends, and is always out to have fun. She wouldn't mind if no one else ever talked and she had to fill the world with sound. She is compassionate and sweet, yet as stubborn as the day the long. She also has the cutest nose. And belly button.

17. Elijah is my favorite child because he is simply the cutest thing I've ever seen. I know it is true because I can't look at him without smiling no matter how frustrated I am with him. Everything he does is cute and funny. He is wide open and loves to be laughed at. He would like to live outdoors. He is the only one of my children who looks like me. He gives the best hugs. He also has the prettiest eyes. And feet.

18. I love to rub people’s earlobes. I know. It is weird. But it really calms me. My dad has the softest earlobes ever. Sometimes I do it without realizing I am doing it. The other day Kylie climbed up in Rod’s lap and rubbed his earlobes. I love it!

19. I can’t fall asleep at night without rubbing my foot back and forth on the bed. I also can’t sleep without covers.

20. I cry all the time: when I’m happy, sad, mad, stressed, tired…you name it. My eyes water all the time. Especially when I laugh, which is a lot.

21. I wish I never had to wear shoes. I can’t stand them. I would rather always be barefoot.

22. My favorite place on the earth is the beach. I love the way it smells. I love the breeze. I love the sun. I love the salt. I even love the sand everywhere. I grew up in CT with the beach a couple miles away and swear that is the secret to loving life. If I had to be homeless, I would live on the beach. One summer I went to the beach with some friends and stayed up all night on the beach just walking and swimming. Absolutely amazing. One of my favorite memories and it wasn’t even anything crazy. I also never feel closer to God than when I am at the beach. I hear His voice in the waves. The best part: you don’t have to wear shoes there.

23. My favorite birthday present ever was on my 30th birthday when I got my van. I love that my kids call it “the big red van.” I also love that it broadcasts to the world that I am a mom because nothing makes me more proud. I also love that I can fit a bunch of people in it and take a party with me wherever I go.

24. I love to watch movies. My dream day would include watching movies all day long with an unending supply of popcorn, chocolate and ice cream.

25. If I had to describe myself in one word it would be merciful. It doesn’t take much to break my heart or at least tug on its strings. I love people and wish I could meet the needs of everyone I meet. In that regard, I am glad I can offer Jesus to everyone in my path. I hope and pray my light shines brightly enough to point others home to Him.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are my heroine! I love you high as heaven...and back! You delight me and humble me, all at the same time. You are truly His beloved princess, and I can hear him singing over you, and see His smile.
Mom

Anonymous said...

I still haven't done this on facebook....and now there is another one going around. Oh well. Thanks for your honesty. It was so fun to read! I love and hope to see you again soon.

the swineharts said...

such a great post! Thanks for the shout out! I love you my sweet friend.....