Tuesday, May 11, 2010

So, it's May!

It's a beautiful, sunshiny day here in Jacksonville! The kids made a plan for our day: go swimming, ride bikes, feed the turtles, play at the park. So, I guess I'm gonna be busy once I finish this!
It has been a long time since sharing what has been going on. Things are finally winding down for the year. Rodgers has flown through 2 math books since we moved to Jacksonville and read 50 new novels as of last night, is in the middle of 3 others, and has re-read about half of his library. And that is why I have a hard time keeping up with his reading list. He IS GOING TO persevere and finish his handwriting book yet this month for school, even if it is the death of him...and me!
Baseball is over! His end of the year party is this Sunday afternoon, so that will be a fun time, but sad to not see all those friends as much over the summer. Kylie's soccer is over for the season, but she and Rodgers have an Academy introduction night tonight, so they are really excited about that. Kylie had her last dance class yesterday. Her dress rehearsal is Thursday night and Friday night is the recital! Her costume is beautiful!!! I can't wait to see the routines! We have 2 more nights of Awana before summer break. That really is an amazing program! Any of you who have kids really need to check it out. They can start at 3yrs (Eli can't wait!!!) Let's see, I have 2 more ESOL classes to teach...well one class and then their graduation night. I'm so sad! Although last week they all said they would be back in the Fall. It is amazing the relationships you form with people even when you barely speak the same language!
We have been traveling a lot lately. Rod was in Pittsburgh for training the third week of April, so the kids and I went up and visited Nana Irwin while he was there. We had a great time at the Pittsburgh zoo with Nana and Aunt Kris! Then we got to go to Erick's roller hockey game and out to eat and watch the Penguin game afterwards with Uncle Keith, Aunt Kim, Nana, Aunt Kris, Uncle George, Bryan and Erick! Wednesday we headed into the city to meet Rod and go to the Pirate's game. Let me tell how good the Pirates AREN'T! But we didn't care! The kids loved it and we were in the "All You Can Eat seats," so they had fun going and getting peanuts, hot dogs, hamburgers, drinks, popcorn, and ice cream sandwiches whenever they wanted! Then we took the ferry back across the rivers to the hotel and stayed with Rod. The kids and I left early to drive to Columbia to stay at Rod's mom's, then home the next morning. We made it back to Jax just in time to get Rodgers' allergy shots for the week. (He is totally improved and doing fine with allergies now that his shots have taken effect.)
Let's see, we were home for the kids' last soccer and baseball games that Saturday, then headed to Hilton Head for the week at Mom and Dad's timeshare. It was WONDERFUL!!! We didn't even go out on the beach once while we were there! We rode bikes everywhere, went up to the lighthouse, swam in the pools, went to the nature preserves to see all the animals...and got closer to an enormous alligator than I would ever like to be again. I was so sad to leave! That is one place I could live. I hope heaven has bike trails like that! :)
We came back to Jax and Mom and Dad did, too. We left Wednesday afternoon for Orlando and checked into another Marriott Villa (yay points!) and swam in the pool. Thursday - - ROD'S AND MY 10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY!!!! - -we headed to Magic Kingdom for a LONG fun-filled day! We were exhausted after all the rides and shows and meet & greets and parades and fireworks! But we didn't let it slow us down! We got up Friday and went to the Animal Kingdom! I had never been to that park before and we all really enjoyed it! The Lion King show was amazing and the Safari ride was a favorite! The big kids loved the Expedition Everest roller coaster and the rapids raft ride! Eli went with Mom and Dad to the petting zoo and whatever else was back in Rafiki's area. Then we headed to Downtown Disney to check out the Lego store and eat at the Irish Pub restaurant before heading home. Two amazingly hot, busy, FUN days!
Saturday was a recovery day and Sunday was a sweet Mother's Day for me with the kids at church, lunch and around here in the afternoon. We went to Travis and MiChelle's for dinner and Rod met us there after work. It was great to catch up with them after all the craziness!
Yesterday we spent a few hours at the beach with MiChelle and the kids, then Ky had dance. I went to a meeting about Classical Conversations (a homeschool class Rodgers and Kylie will start in the Fall) then out with Shanel afterwards to talk and hang out.
That brings us to today and the schedule the kids have planned for us. I hope I have energy left for school during Eli's nap today!!! :)

1 comment:

Kerry said...

You just made me want to take a nap for you. When do you have time to breathe? You are such a great mom and your kids are blessed to have you!