Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A whole new way to have a baby!

So I think I am finally figuring out how to have babies! Third time is a charm, right? I woke up last Thursday morning with contractions around 5 am, and thought, huh, that is strange. Then I went back to sleep. I got up and went to the chiropractor, went to get a pedicure, then came home and met up with Mom, Kylie, and Rodgers (school holiday) and went to Costco. As I was sitting there watching the kids eat pizza I realized that my contractions were only 4 1/2 to 5 minutes apart, so I called Rod and told him I was going to probably call the doctor when I got home. I called the doctor around 1:30 and got yelled at for not calling hours earlier with a third child and having been contracting all day. When she was done lecturing, she told me to come right into the office. Betty was actually at the house hanging out, so she took me to the doctor. Well, while waiting in the office I actually started hurting, and when the doctor came in to check me she said, you are totally effaced and dialated 5 cm. You need to get to the hospital! Then she asked me what I had been waiting for. I told her, "for my water to break, of course, just like the others!" Oh well, that wasn't happening. Betty took me home and I waited for Rod to get home. I will say the ride to the hospital was not quite as fun as the past two times. The front seat of a car is not a fun place to have major contractions!! Yikes! Anyway, we made it to the hospital by 4:00 without Daddy having to deliver. I still was wondering if he would come by Thursday night or miss the cutoff and be born on Friday. Silly me! I was 7 cm when I arrived, and having trouble holding the pen when I was supposed to be signing papers. The next time they checked me I was ready to go, so they called the doctor! She got there and broke my water. After 30 measly minutes of pushing (PRAISE THE LORD!) Elijah Michael Miller was born at 6:20 pm. Rod cut the cord and he was handed off to the nursery team, and Kathy (my doctor, not my mom or my mother-in-law or my maternity nurse...yes, all Kathy with a K) said, "he looks like a big boy." Well, a couple minutes later, they yelled from the other room "8 pounds 9 ounces!" Kathy and I looked at each other and both said, "WHAT?!?!?!" How the biggest one was the easiest one is beyond me, but he definitely wins the award for "the labor that doesn't make mom cringe just thinking about it." Good job, Elijah! Kathy (again, my doctor) brought me a Coke before she left the room (and you wonder why I love my midwives???), and I had Rod downstairs getting me food before they even took Elijah to the nursery or me to my room. I was STARVING! and let me tell you how good that chicken sandwich and fries was...looking for a good lunch, just swing by the CMC cafeteria. I got to my room around 8pm and Eli was back from his shot and checks and bath (smelling so yummy!) around 9:15pm. We had a great evening together. While all this was going on, Mom and the kids were at soccer practice and giving my neighbors updates on the labor and delivery! Mom did say that Kylie had some tears leaving practice because she wanted to "go see Elijah RIGHT NOW!" Somehow Mom got her calmed down and excited about coming to see him in the morning. I talked to Rodgers on the phone and gave him permission to skip school; that is okay by week two, right?? I mean, that is what I always thought...just never the first week. Anyway... The kids came up around 9:00 the next morning, dressed in their big brother and big sister shirts, SO EXCITED!!!! Rodgers brought all his friends from home to meet Elijah: puppy, honey bear, and Spurrier the dog, and introduced them each. The kids each had a present for Elijah, too. It was a fun morning! The kids ended up staying most of the day, til just after 4:00. Rod's mom came up, too, and Betty and Avary. Later that evening Kerry and Amy came to meet Elijah. Then Rod and I crashed early. Elijah did a great job sleeping in the nursery, and loved eating every time they brought him back. Saturday morning, Rod went to coach the kids' first soccer game! They are on the green team, and both had fun playing. Kylie almost scored a goal! The first thing both of them told me about when they got up to the hospital, though, was what they got for snack. That's what I would have been talking about, too! :) I finally escaped from the hospital around noon. I'm telling you, it is not an easy place to get out of! We were all happy to be coming home! Elijah loved his first car ride and slept the whole way. When we got home, there were fun balloons on our mailbox from our sweet neighbors Owen and Jule! Welcome home Elijah! The kids have adjusted so well to their new little brother! Kylie wants to hold him about every second of every day. Rodgers likes to read him books and kiss his head. He also tells him all the things he is going to teach him. Kylie likes to say, "I'll just keep an eye on Elijah for you!" Such a big helper! Saturday morning in the car, Kylie did tell Rod and Nana a story about a little duckling who had lost her mother. She was, however, adamant that the duckling's name was Sara and not Kylie. But the duckling was sad because she couldn't find her Mama. Sunday morning on the way to church, Nana asked Kylie about the duckling. Kylie told her that the duckling's Mama had come home and the little duckling was so happy now! After getting home Saturday, Uncle Ian and Courtney came down from Richmond to meet baby Elijah! So fun to see them!!! Caroline came over for a brief visit, then Tripp, Becky & the boys came for dinner and to play! It was a fun first night home...in the early parts. Elijah decided not to sleep his first night home. -well, besides for two hours! So Mama had a llloooonnnngggg night, but we got to stay home Sunday morning and visit with Caroline, Ian and Courtney while everyone else was at church. Rodgers came in first thing Sunday morning and asked me if Elijah could talk yet. I think he is already anxious for him to be a little bigger! Sunday afternoon, Uncle Will and "Aunt" Megan (sorry, but that is how she is known here!!!) came up to play. The kids loved having them, and they of course came bearing gifts including a new princess game that has become part of Kylie's daily routine. Later that evening Dustin, Betty and Ava came over to say hello. Ava and Eli had their first little playtime. Eli tried to teach Ava how to suck on a paci, but she didn't go for it. The rest of the week has been a little more normal. Rodgers went back to school Monday, although Daddy did stay home. This is D week at school, so they have been doing dinosaur stuff everyday, which he loves. He was the line leader Tuesday and totally ate that up! Yesterday, Freddie the frog (the classroom stuffed animal) came home with him to spend the night. We went on lots of adventures with Freddie and then wrote in Freddie's notebook all the things they did together. He will get to read it to his class today. He was sad this morning when realizing Freddie had to leave, but happy that Zachary would get to have him spend the night tonight. Good thing he likes Zachary...
Elijah has had a lot of firsts this week (since everything he does is new):
Monday: first trip to the doctor! Almost back up to birth weight, little chunker, so you got waved through til one month! Yippee! Also his first walk in the stroller.
Tuesday: first outing to Target! This will become a second home to him, so it was good that he liked it. He snored from his sling through the whole store. He also went to Fresh Market, picked up Rodgers in carpool, and went to Babies R Us. Big day!
Wednesday: first time in the swing! It put him right to sleep. The most amazing part: big brother and big sister didn't mess with the swing the whole time he was there! Wow!
Nana and Papa B got here yesterday afternoon, so there is no telling what adventures today will hold for Elijah. He already decided he likes sleeping on his Nana B! Speaking of sleeping, his feeding schedule the past two nights has been 11pm, 3am, 6:30am. How awesome is that?! Loving the sleep!

Well, I know I have lots more to say and update you all on, but this has already taken me two days, so I am just going to stick some pictures on and call it a day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, what a great post! so fun to hear all about the little guy's birthday!! yahoo, elijah! so glad you're here!! i am sooooo excited to meet you! only 2 more weeks!

Anonymous said...

thanks so much for the email and the update, angie! i've been checking the blog this week (just in case), but figured you had your hands full. i'm glad to hear that you are all doing well and having such a good time. hopefully will and i can come up sometime next month to see how eli has grown!

Aunt Courtney said...

He is so cute!! I'm so happy ya'll are doing well. Ian and I can't wait to come visit again. Love ya'll!