Elijah woke up at 4am Thursday to eat, as usual, but was SO stuffy he couldn't breathe when he ate and ended up covered in milk. Sure enough, he had a full-blown cold in the morning...sneezing and snotting everywhere...eyes all watery and runny. Yuck. Poor little monkey. Rodgers probably would've slept right through school Thursday morning! I had to go wake him up and dress him at 8:45 and throw breakfast in his mouth on the way out the door. He, of course, had a great day and was so excited to fill us in on everything when we picked him up!
Kylie and I cleaned on Thursday and packed everyones clothes to go down to Columbia for a couple days. We picked Daddy up after work on Thursday and headed down to Nana Stewart's house. Funny story from the way down:
I told the kids we would drive thru Wendy's to get dinner after picking up Daddy and to be thinking of what they wanted so they were ready to order when we got there. Kylie said she wanted chicken nuggets and Sprite, and then asked Rodgers, "whatcha gonna get, buddy?" Rodgers said, "Well, they don't usually have turkey sandwiches anymore" (they used to have turkey and cheese on the kids menu, but have recently done away with it)," but I think I will keep asking for one and just keep hoping." I laughed until I had tears running down my cheeks. The eternal optimist.
Papa Rock had his rotator cuff surgery on Thursday, too, so we got to check in on him and see how the drugs were treating him. Overall, he did pretty well and wasn't in too much pain. Mama got to go out late Thursday night with Caroline for a drink at the Publick House. Fun girl time at one of my favorite places! Caroline and I joke that everything on my "pros" list for Columbia either has to do with food or drinks!
Friday morning Daddy had to go take his erosion certification test, so the kids and I stayed at Nana's house and kept an eye on Papa Rock while Nana worked at the preschool. Then Daddy came home and we headed to lunch with Caroline at Groucho's. (pros list) YUM! Anyway, then we drove around for a little while, then Rod and the big kids went over to play with William and Bennett at their house. They came home to eat yummy spaghetti at Nana's house with Uncle Will and Megan. Then Rod and I got to go out for dessert and wine with Caroline at Nonnah's (pros list). Saturday was a lazy day of hanging around Nana's house and playing at the playground at the mall. Then we all went to dinner at Za's (once again: pros list). We put the kids in jammies and drove home Saturday night so we could be here for church.
Amanda is in town and came to church with Betty this morning along with her sweet 5 week old baby Owen!!! TOO CUTE! It was so good to see her face and get a hug! Sadly, Jimmy is in Thailand, and we always miss his sermons, but Mark did an amazing job this morning and had us laughing out loud a few times...I encourage you all to download it! Hilarious! Anyway, Rod and I tried a new Sunday school class today and it was so much fun! We were definitely the youngest people there, but the room was packed out and we are excited about 1) the teaching: it is on marriage and being taught by Palmer Trice from the Barnabas Center, and 2) the fellowship and community opportunities. We have really missed feeling connected at church lately and are looking forward to this smaller group setting.
This afternoon, we all enjoyed just being home. Rodgers told me more about his wedding this afternoon. He started telling me this week that he loves Payton (a girl in his class) and that he is going to marry her. Today he came over and said he wanted to talk to me about something. He got this sweet little smile on his face and climbed up in my lap. He said, "Mama, when I get grown up like Daddy, I am gonna marry Payton." I asked him why he wanted to grow up and get married instead of staying a kid and living with me. He said, "Well, Mom, I can't help it that I am growing. And Payton is my best friend and I want to be with her forever. She is Katie's best friend, too, but Katie is a girl so she can't marry her like I can. So, when I grow up like Daddy and when it is March first in that year, I am gonna marry Payton. Mama, you said I could marry anyone as long as it was a girl and she had Jesus in her heart and I think Payton is one." So, I guess we all need to start shopping for dresses. Sounds like we just have to figure out what year March first is on a Saturday! Then, Rod and the kids went for a bike ride...although I think Kylie was walking her bike when Amy drove by them! Then Eli and I went to hang out with Betty & Avary, Amanda & Owen, Lindsay, and Amy for a little while. I just got home a little while ago and put Elijah in bed. Now Rod is up putting the big kids down. I am looking forward to a quiet night of knitting!
And it all starts over tomorrow...



2 comments:
Rodgers's wedding...how sweet...and well thought out
it was soooooooo good to see you, friend! i can't even express how much i miss all of you already...
Post a Comment