Sunday, August 26, 2007

How do I do this?

Ok, so Mom came and took the kids to Pinehurst last Wednesday. One would think I would've had lots of time to post things online and keep in touch with everyone, and in truth I have had time. But I have come to the realization that my life is dull without my kids! They are the only reason I am remotely interesting, so without them here I really don't have anything to say! How sad is that? I have also realized that I don't know what to do with myself without them. In my head, this week sounded like such a great vacation...full of relaxation as well as getting things in order before the baby...maybe getting some quality time with Rod. Don't get me wrong, those things have happened (except for the cleaning of my house...somehow I have still managed to not get that done), but it isn't quite the same as I imagined it would be. Like I said, Mom took the kids on Wednesday...at 3:40 pm. At 4:00 pm, I called Rod and asked if he could come home yet! Twenty minutes! That is all it took before I wasn't quite sure what to do with myself! SAD! It did get a little better on Thursday. I got to hang out with Betty and Avary in the morning, and with Amy at her classroom getting ready for school that afternoon. Friday morning I had a doctor appointment, then lunch with Rod since he had to work the Panthers game Friday night and I wouldn't have seen him until Saturday, then hung out with Kerry and watched a movie that made us both dumber (Wild Hogs), then dinner with my friend Whitney, then a movie at home before falling asleep. Saturday we ran errands, got the paint I needed for the bathroom, helped Dustin with his deck, then dinner over at Kerry & Steven's. But then it got weird again this morning when we went to church and didn't have any kids to drop off. The children's ministry director was standing outside when we walked up and immediately wanted to know what we had done with the kids. It is just really strange. We actually left church through the children's wing out of habit even though we didn't have to pick them up. However, I don't think the kids are having trouble without us AT ALL. The first morning I called to talk to them, Mom said, "Who wants to talk to Mama?" And in the background I hear: (Kylie) "NOT ME!" (Rodgers) "Um, I don't think so!" Thanks guys. Love you, too. They are having way too much fun playing games, swimming, riding bikes, etc. They went camping last night and tonight in Raleigh and got to ride in the canoe. Rodgers did call me this morning:
Me: Hello?
R: Hi Mom. There are three rules in camping.
Me: Oh really? What are they?
R: Rule #1, you always have to be where someone can see you.
Me: (try to start saying something but am cut off...)
R: Rule #2, you can only go by the water with Nana or Papa. Rule #3, you always have to have S'mores.
Me: Oh I love that rule! It is my favorite!
R: Those are the three rules...
He did actually talk a little bit after that about riding in the canoe and told me it was too heavy to carry, but Papa can carry the oars. I didn't get much more because they were heading out to go swimming.
I heard from Mom that when they first got to the campground the kids got out of the car and Rodgers kept saying, "Awesome! This is so awesome!" And Kylie said, "This is the best camping EVER!" True statement since she has never been before. As I was laying in bed last night (note that I was AWAKE) I was actually thankful I wasn't with them, though, since the ceiling fan was on high in my air conditioned house and I was still sweating like a pig! Mom and Dad get an extra grandparenting medal for taking them camping in this heat!!!
Well, I wanted to let you know I am still alive down here...just having to make some adjustments. I will let you know more of how it is going tomorrow, but so far I have not been able to sleep in at all, and really am not much more productive without children. I am, however, going to stop typing and go back to watching the Steelers game! Til later...

3 comments:

Caroline said...

Why don't you just slow down and REST?!

Anonymous said...

The empty nest crisis is to be much later. These "free" weekends are to be little pieces of heaven! What is wrong with you? It must be hormonal. Come Eli Come!-Poop

Anonymous said...

Oh, how telling to have a daughter who can not exist without other people! You are such and extravert that quite and solitude actually kill you! How about you take the kids camping next time it hits 100 and let's see if I can find something to do with my weekend.
Love, Dad