Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Ugly duckling of a conversation

So this morning's ride to school was interesting.  We had to go early because Rodgers' school was having "See you at the Pole" where everyone meets at the flagpole to pray for the school, etc.  We were backing out of the driveway and I hear Kylie say, "What if I had a gun and shot everyone?"  The following was the resulting conversation:
Me: What did you just say?
Ky: I was actually talking to Rodgers.
Me: I think I want to be part of this conversation.
R: She was talking about a gun.
Me: I heard that much.  Ky, what did you say?
Ky: What if I had a gun and shot people?
Me: That would be terrible!  People die if you shoot them.
Ky: I wouldn't shoot anyone in our house!
R: Yeah!  So we would still be alive.
Me: But Kylie, you can't shoot people.  What if they didn't have Jesus in their hearts?
R: They would go to hell!
Ky: What's hell?
R: It's where God isn't there.  Satan lives there.
Ky: Who is Satan?
Me: He is the devil and is very bad.  But, Kylie, we don't have guns in our house.  Guns are dangerous.  You can never touch them or play with them.
R: Or people could die without Jesus in their hearts.  We have to go to Russia!
Me: WHAT?
R: We have to go to Russia!  And France!  And China, and the other country called Africa, too!
Me: Why?  What are you talking about?
R: Russia and France and China and Africa have lots of people who don't have Jesus in their hearts!
Me: You are right, they do.  But, buddy there are lots of people all around us right here who don't know about Jesus.
Ky: Like some of our friends?
R: Yup, some of our friends and even people we don't know RIGHT HERE IN AMERICA!  We have to tell them!
Me: What are you going to tell them?
R: To have Jesus in their heart so they don't go to hell!
Me: Oh, ok.  Well, maybe you should tell them about God first.  Like maybe about how God loves them.
R: Yeah, He loves us so much that Jesus came from heaven and he can live in our hearts so we can go to heaven!
Me: Yup, but how did he show us how much he loved us?  What did he have to do for us so we could have a relationship with him?
R: Oh yeah, that part.  He died on the cross so he could take away our sins.  God forgives us so Jesus can live in our hearts.  Remember in our devotions that God is always with us in our days?  Even if we are resting or playing?  When Jesus is in our heart he is always there forever!
Me: We need to pray for our friends and our family and even people we don't know that they would know Jesus and how much God loves them.  You could pray for that at the flagpole.
R: Actually, "See you at the pole" is for my school, Carmel Christian School.
Me: I know, but we are going to pray for our government and our leaders, too.  You can pray for anything you want to at the flagpole.
R: I'm gonna pray for Russian and France and China and Africa.
Ky: I'm gonna pray I don't go to hell.
Me: Ok. Sounds good to me.

So, what started out ugly, turned into a beautiful conversation with my kids...at 7:40 am...I'm gonna pat myself on the back right now for actually getting us all in the car by then!

1 comment:

Kerry said...

Wow, I'm looking forward to those conversations with my kids someday. What a privilege and responsibility we have to teach our children!